Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sewing for Abby

I've been sewing a lot for Abigail lately. Several of my friends have asked me how to do the dresses I've sewn. Here goes my best shot.
This dress is made from Simplicity 2574. The fabric was purchased at Hobby Lobby,  the green ric-rac at Wal-Mart. There is three sizes of ric-rac on this dress, tiny, medium, and huge. The  buttons were in the stash.    
  
This pattern has a front yoke and a back yoke. I cut the front yoke out of a scrap from my stash. But, the fabric is still available.
I've already pinned the patterns down so many times I've almost worn out the pattern.
The pattern is a Project Runway pattern. It has several variations. One has a buttonband (flap) at the neckline with a ruffle. I left off the ruffle.
I will take pictures of the sewing process for the construction of the next dress I sew. See that post for details of my process. (Editted to add: See post "How did you make that dress?")
The ric-rac across the chest is sewn on after sewing the front yoke to the dress front. Press the seam towards the yoke. The first row of ric-rac covers this seam. The next two are placed by eye making sure they will be under the button flap.
Pin the button flap to the dress front before sewing on the front facing. I sewed the buttons on before the front facing also.
The tiny ric-rac around the armscyes and neckline were sewn on after the dress was completed. The jumbo ric-rac was applied after the dress was hemmed. (FYI, I use lace hemming tape just 'cuz I like it.)

No comments: