Sunday, April 19, 2009

Quilting for babies

I have to get into gear. I have lots of quilts to make for the coming babies. I really set myself up for quilting with Brayden. I made lots of quilts for him. LOTS OF QUILTS. I can't have the Lil Babies thinking Mamaw didn't want them just as much as Brayden.

I have two crib/toddler bed quilts to make to use in our nursery here. I have some of the focus fabric left from Brayden's quilt. I will use it as accents, as it is not available now. I was able to get a lot of the other fabrics I used. I will make each quilt look similiar but not make matchy matchy quilts. These quilts will be made to fit a toddler bed for future use. I will also make matching bumper pads and a pillowcase for each baby. This is Brayden's quilt. I used a Serger Baby Quilt pattern I found on line. BUT tweaked the instructions a bit. I used a strip double the width of the other strips to make the edges. I hand sewed the mitered corners after I used my sewing machine to sew the edge down. This is a really fast quilt to make. I've made a couple. I cut the strips 3 or 3 1/2 inches WOF. I also used my sewing machine alot instead of my serger. If I missed catching the complete sandwich of fabrics and batting, I usually used the DSM to catch the seams to make not to cut off too much with the serger. This quilt is washed often. It holds up well.


I will make each new baby a black and white play quilt. I want each of the babies to have their own. I could just use the one I made for Brayden, but , I want each baby to have one of its own. This quilt has been washed often also. It has been spit on often. It is very loud in the dryer. It has plastic teething rings attached by the book at the top.
The count is up to 4 quilts.
I have the material for a softball themed quilt for Lil Baby A. That's the fabric I picked up for the baby when we learned about the first baby, now referred to as Lil Baby A. Its mom played softball from Kindergarten to Graduation. I was thrilled to find SOFTBALL not baseball fabric. I also found a fabric that has 'pitch' printed on it with softballs. Yes, she was a pitcher.
I've known about Lil Baby B less than 1 week. I don't have special fabric for it yet. I've been babysitting Brayden and waiting out spring rains. Not shopping in LQS.
I'll be glad to know these babies' names so I can stop calling them Lil Baby A or Lil Baby B. Brayden is our big baby.
The count is now at 6 quilts, minimum. Brayden got that many or more. Better get busy.

1 comment:

rubbishknitter said...

awesome quilts! i love the idea of attaching teething rings...