Friday, January 9, 2009

It's a new year, ya'll!

It is wonderful having a baby to enjoy this new year. I can't believe how fast he is growing. He is 3 months old already. I won't get much quilting done tomorrow, as Brayden and David will be here.
This is the quilt I made for Brayden for Christmas. It is different textures and shades of blue and white. It is really very pretty. Jenn says it is her favorite of all of the quilts I have made for him to date.
I used large squares of different textured fabric for this quilt. The squares were about 9". The fabrics included flannel, fleece ( the bubbly ducks), velour (with raised dots), satin, terry towelling, and a 'shiny curly lamb's wool-looking' fabric that is very soft to the touch. I really don't know any of the fabric by name. I think all of them came from Hobby Lobby. Every fabric is washable on delicate and in cold water, and can be tossed in the dryer. I serged this one to make sure none of the fabrics frayed. The backing is a 24" square of blue flannel printed with clouds with a border of 6 1/2" squares of all of the quilt fabrics.
I learned the evening that the term for the 'binding' method I used on this quilt is called the Birthing Method. I just layered the quilt top wrong side down on the batting, and topped it off with the backing right sides together with the top. Sewed around the edges with about a 1/2" seam leaving an opening large enough to turn the thing right side out. I then topstitched around the edge to keep everything together and also to stitch the opening closed.
David and Buck are planning on digging a ditch from the house to the shop to bury the electrical line tomorrow. I will be watching the baby, not using a shovel. The ground is very wet and softer than normal, so digging will be easier now than later.

No comments: