Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Wonderful Husband!

A couple of weeks ago, I casually asked my husband, Buck, if we had a few extra grand laying around. Imagine his laughter!! When he stopped laughing, he asked what I wanted. I then showed him several longarm quilting machines. He thoughtfully looked them over with only one comment. "Huh."

Believe me, that was it as far as I was concerned. I KNOW we don't have that kind of spending money.

This afternoon, he came into the house from his shop. He had with him 2 carriages he has fabricated out of metal. He welded square tubing into 2 rectangles and added wheels. They stack one atop the other. They glide like butter.
He wanted know if I thought my old sewing machine would work on them. (They are exactly the right size for the machine.)
He explained that he has the wood to make a table. "How wide does it need to be? I have the tracks to move the machine from end to end. "

I guess he paid more attention than I thought. He has also done a bit of research on this on his lunch hour. I've started taking pictures of the project, but he asked me not to include them until he is finished. His reason-he missed a spot when he painted the carriages. As if I care about a bit of welding color.

Just a note- I picked him out when I was 16. I knew he was a keeper
Martha

3 comments:

June Calender said...

This is amazing -- what an idea. What a husband! I hope the whole scheme works.

And thanks for your comment on my blog.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Welcome to Blogland :)

Can hardly wait to 'see' the set-up your hubby creates :)

Marguerita McManus said...

You are one lucky lady - -he's definitely a keeper! You're going to love quilting on a frame. I'll check back. Email me if you want for questions, I did longarming & midarm quilting and help quilters on their DSM frame set-ups too. :)

Marguerita
Crazy Shortcut Quilter